Thursday, October 10, 2013

tHe FiRsT hOrRoR mOvIe

The very first scary movie was made by Thomas Edison, weird right? He was so bright that he made the light bulb and also the first horror movie! It was called The Execution of Mary Stewart. It was filmed in 1895. It was based on a "true story." It was depicted on the story of Mary Queen of Scots. She was executed July 24, 1967 for treason. (I found my information here)
The movie was just 15 seconds! How weird... I think that's weird, but it was just the first horror movie ever made. It was just the Queen surrounded by a crowd of people. Then she gets on her knees and the executioner cuts her head off with an ax. The film is done.  
Thomas Edison was not a good film maker in my mind, but now that I think about it, It was in in the late 1800s. There wasn't much to do back then if you weren't doing an medevil things. Atleast in my mind, back then you could have possibly done possession movies, because possession was around back then too. It goes back a lot of years. I think he didn't do horrible, but he didn't do the best either.

1 comment:

  1. I think there were plenty of things they could have used as the story of horror movies (after all, it's not like dead people or the concept of ghosts weren't around for thousands of years prior to this film), but they were limited by technology. I think considering the early, EARLY, filmography and technology, it's pretty good for the first horror film! This is also the first time 99.9% of people watching this clip would have seen an execution, so it was probably pretty traumatizing for some of them. I think we are a lot more desensitized nowadays.

    10/10

    ReplyDelete